SPEECH BY MINISTER OF INFORMATION, TOURISM AND CULTURE, HON. KONDWANI NANKHUMWA M.P. DURING THE OFFICIAL OPENING OF 33RD ORDINARY SESSION OF THE PAPU ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL IN LILONGWE, MALAWI ON 11TH AUGUST, 2014.
- YOUR HONOUR THE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF MALAWI, RIGHT HON. SAULOS KALUS CHILIMA
- THE DIRECTOR GENERAL OF THE UNIVERSAL POSTAL UNION, MR. BISHAR HUSSEIN;
- THE CHAIRMAN OF PAPU ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL, PROF. JOHN S. NKOMA;
- THE SECRETARY GENERAL OF THE PAN-AFRICAN POSTAL UNION, MR YOUSOUSS DJIBRINE;
- EXCELLENCIES, HEADS OF INTERNATIONAL AND REGIONAL ORGANIZATIONS BASED HERE IN LILONGWE;
- REPRESENTATIVES OF GOVERNMENTS OF PAPU MEMBER STATES AND SUB-REGIONAL ORGANIZATIONS;
- THE BOARD CHAIRMAN OF MALAWI POSTS CORPORATION, MR JIMMY KOREA MPATSA;
- THE BOARD CHAIRPERSON OF MALAWI COMMUNICATIONS REGULATORY AUTHORITY, MRS MARTHA KWATAINE;
- CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICERS OF DESIGNATED POSTAL OPERATORS AND REGULATORY AUTHORITIES OF PAPU MEMBER COUNTRIES;
- DISTINGUISHED DELEGATES;
- MEMBERS OF THE PRESS;
- LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.
It is with a deep sense of Honour and privilege that I should request You, our Guest of Honour to officially open the 33rd Ordinary Session of the PAPU Administrative Council meeting this morning. Before I do that however, allow me, Your Honour, to welcome you most sincerely to the Bingu International Conference Centre (BICC). Your presence at this meeting is a clear testimony of the Government of Malawi’s commitment to the African Union in General and the Pan African Postal Union, in particular.
Your Honour, Malawi is greatly honoured to host this important meeting on the calendar of events for PAPU. In particular, it is pleasing to note that the Director General of the Universal Postal Union has taken time to be part of this meeting. Your Honour, also gathered here are distinguished delegates from more than 40 member states of PAPU and Representatives of Restricted Unions, as well as representatives of partner organization.
Your Honour, the large turnout of distinguished delegates is a clear testimony that member states see a lot of value in the activities of PAPU. Let me take this opportunity to commend the Secretary General of PAPU and his team for the excellent work they are doing, as it is through their commitment and effort that member states see value in this organization.
Your Honour, I am also greatly indebted to Member States for their continued support and cooperation existing between them and their Union in various ways including financial and technical support.
I wish to further report to you, Your Honour, that yesterday we took the delegates to the Livingstonia Beach on the shores of Lake Malawi where they had the opportunity to get into the Lake and the country side where they were able to feel the warmth of the people of Malawi.
With these few remarks, it is now my singular honour and privilege to invite you our Guest of Honour, the Vice President of the Republic of Malawi, Right Honourable Saulos Chilima to deliver your keynote address.
I thank you all for your attention.